Dark circles under the skin are a result of physical stress, poor or lack of sleep, unhealthy dietary habits, heredity, dry skin, prolonged crying, mental stress and working for a lot of times in front of a computer monitor without proper filters. They make no distinction between the genders and they make people look older, exhausted and unhealthy. If you don’t want to invest in skin treatments and first want to try the old school route, you’ll enjoy today’s update.
Solving Dark Circles Under Your Eyes With Things in Your House
Many cosmetic products have been designed to feature powerful ingredients to counter these effects. Though effective they can be most expensive. However, there are quite a few remedies that can be applied at home and be just as effective, while being cheaper and healthier. Here are some options:
- Almond Oil
Almond oil is rich in vitamin E which is most essential to the skin. Apply by massaging gently some oil on the affected area before going to bed. Leave it overnight and wash thoroughly the next day with cold water. The process is to be repeated every day until the desired results are achieved.
Its astringent properties and skin lightening ability can fix the dark circles naturally. Chill a couple of slices for about 30 minutes and place them on the affected area for 10 minutes. Wash with water and repeat twice per day for a week.
- Raw potatoes
Potatoes are strong bleachers. Chill one or two potatoes and extract the juice. Apply over closed eyes for 10 minutes and rinse. Repeat twice per day for a couple of weeks.
- Rose water
Tired eyes benefit greatly from rose water due to the astringent properties. For best results combine with a skin toner. To apply:
- Use pure rose water to soak cotton pads for a few minutes
- Close the eyes before applying
- Allow 15 minutes
- Apply twice per day for a few weeks.
Tomatoes can lighten the skin. Tomato juice mixed with some lemon juice and applied for 10 minutes in the affected area before rinsing away twice per day can do that over a period of a few weeks.
- Lemon Juice
Vitamin C is one of the most beneficial vitamins to the skin. Apart from removing the circles in can be used to lighten the color. Apply some fresh lemon juice around the eyes with a cotton pad. Allow 10 minutes to act and rinse off. Apply once per day for a few weeks.
- Coconut Oil
The quality required is moisture. Apply by massaging the area under the eyes with extra virgin coconut oil. The oil must remain for a few hours and then washed away. This can be done two or three times per day until the desired results are achieved.
- Tea Bags
Reducing fluid retention and constricting the blood vessels is achieved by the application of the caffeine, antioxidants and tannins that are the basic ingredients in tea. To apply:
- Take a couple of used tea bags (green or black tea) and chill for half an hour.
- Use over each eye for 10 to 15 minutes
- Wash the face
- Apply once or twice daily and make sure that no tea gets in the eyes.
- Cold Compresses
They serve to constrict the blood vessels. Soak a towel or washcloth in cold milk or water, close the eyes and apply over the eyes for a few minutes.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. To apply:
- Mix 2 teaspoons worth of pineapple juice with turmeric powder and stir until a thick paste is formed.
- Apply the paste
- Leave for 10 minutes and wipe with a soft and damp cloth
Apply daily until the desired results are achieved.
In addition to the above, some other common tips can be used to diminish the effect:
- Adequate sleep and proper rest
- Eyes are not to be rubbed either too much or too often
- Do not forget or get bored to remove make up overnight
- Do not get exposed to sun unnecessarily
- A reason for the problem may be water retention. Drink plenty of it.
- Elevate the head by adding pillows to avoid fluid pooling
- Include foods with vitamins A, C and E
- Quit smoking and reduce caffeine and alcohol consumption
Dark circles under the eyes are undesirable any way anyone wants to look at it. However, it does not have to cost a fortune to get rid of them. Not when there are so many solution that can be put to effect and reduce or eradicate the problem all together.